7 Reasons Why You May Want Stop Consuming Diet Soda!!
Many people I know have ditched the full flavor/calorie sodas for the diet ones. It may not be the best decision. I too am in that group….I can’t remember when the last time was that I purchased regular Coke or Pepsi. I, as well as a majority of Americans, feel that we can cut corners on calories by drinking the diet variety, then use those calories on something else. Well, that diet pop may not be as helpful to your body as expected. Here are 7 reasons why you may want to stop drinking diet pop (soda)
1. According to an 11 year-long Harvard Medical School study, diet pop may be bad for your kidneys. researchers studied more than 3,000 women and found that diet cola is associated with kidney decline. The kidneys started to decline when the women had two diet sodas/day. The decline was NOT associated with regular soda, just diet ones, which led researchers to suspect that it’s the diet sweeteners that are responsible for the kidney issues.
2. A 2008 University of Minnesota study of 10,000 adults found that 1 diet pop/day is linked to a 34% higher risk of being obese and having high cholesterol. That can put you at risk for heart disease.
3. Diet pop will NOT help you lose weight! A University of Texas Health Science Center study found that the more diet pop consumed…the greater risk one has of becoming overweight. Artificial sweeteners screw with the body’s ability to regulate caloric intake, based on how sweet foods are. This means, those who consume diet food/drink, are more likely to overeat. You are essentially tricking your body into thinking that it’s eating sugar…then you eat more.
4. Mixed drinks that have diet soda in them get you drunker faster. This was found in a study from Royal Adelaide Hospital in Australia. Here’s why….Sugar-free mixers allow liquor to get in the bloodstream a heck of a lot quicker than drinks with sugar.
5. Diet sodas have mold inhibitors in them. They are called benzoate or potassium benzoate. These chemicals can cause damage to DNA in the mitochondria…so much damage that the chemicals can completely inactivate it. These preservatives have been linked to asthma and hives. They can also irritate the eyes and skin.
6. Diet soda is very acidic. It has a pH of 3.2! (battery acid-pH is 1……..Water pH is 7) This acid will dissolve tooth enamel. A University of Michigan study found that those who drink 3 or more diet sodas/day have more dental problems. decay…fillings and missing teeth!
7. The can that your diet soda is in can be just as harmful as the soda inside. These cans are coated with an endocrine disruptor named….bisphenol A…..which has been linked to heart disease, reproductive problems and obesity.