A Must Read for Fans of Buffalo Music and Entertainment
It's the most comprehensive history of music and entertainment in Buffalo from the city's inception up to the early 1980's. And its author has been an integral part of entertainment in Western New York for the past 50 years.
"History of Buffalo Music and Entertainment" by Rick Falkowski was released earlier this month and it's a virtual walk thru time from Buffalo's early days of theater, vaudeville, burlesque and big band music. The book touches on entertainment at the Pan American Exposition, the contributions of theatre owner Michael Shea, jazz clubs in the 1940's, the Crystal Beach Ballroom, the formation of the BPO, early radio and TV, teen clubs in the 1960's, local country music bands and nightclubs.
In the Country Music section there are complete chapters on the Ramblin' Lou Family Band, Ed Bentley, Stone Country, J.C. Thompson and Two Hills. Also covered are Keith Allen and Cross Country Express, NY Rockin' Rodeo, Moonshine Express, Lone Star Express and Vanishing Breed. Do those names bring back some memories? You'll read about all of them plus many, many more.
Rick Falkowski has first-hand knowledge of what he covers in the book. He is the founder of the Buffalo Music Hall of Fame, Buffalo Music Awards, Buffalo Backstage Magazine, he's the entertainment coordinator of the Tonawanda's Gateway Harbor Concerts and he's a former employee of ASCAP.
"History of Buffalo Music and Entertainment" contains over 125 photos and is available on Amazon.com as well as books stores, record stores, music stores and gift shops throughout Western New York.
The book is available at these local retail outlets:
- Allentown Music, 497 Amherst St, Buffalo
- Bob the Record Guy, 6407 Transit Road, Depew
- Bob the Record Guy, Antique World, Clarence
- Book Corner, 1801 Main St, Niagara Falls
- Buffalo Drum Outlet, 5872 Transit Road, Depew
- Buffalo History Museum, One Museum Court, Buffalo
- Buffalo Niagara Visitors Bureau, Brisbane Building, Buffalo
- Buffalo Niagara Visitors Bureau, Buffalo Niagara Airport, Cheektowaga
- Chamber of Commerce of the Tonawandas, 254 Sweeney St, North Tonawanda
- Colored Musicians Club, 145 Michigan Ave, Buffalo
- Cool Beat Music & Books, 2445 William St, Cheektowaga
- Crossroads Music, 6810 Main St, Williamsville
- Dog Ears Bookstore & Café, 688 Abbott Road, Buffalo
- Fred Handmade Wares & Gifts, 385 Franklin at Edward, Buffalo
- Guitar Factory, Southgate Plaza, West Seneca
- Herschell Carrousel Factory Museum, 180 Thompson St, North Tonawanda
- Jam Records, 1225 Hertel Ave, Buffalo
- Lancaster Opera House, 21 Central Ave, Lancaster
- Main Music Shoppe, 9139 Main St, Clarence
- Matts Music, 937 Oliver St, North Tonawanda
- Northtown Music, 3648 Harlem Road, Cheektowaga
- Paramount Music, 894 Brighton Road, Tonawanda
- Rust Belt Bookstore, 415 Grant St, Buffalo
- Second Reader Book Store, 1421 Hertel Ave, Buffalo
- Sportsman’s Tavern, 326 Amherst St, Buffalo
- Talking Leaves Books, 951 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo
- Thin Ice, 719 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo
- Twin Village Music, 44 Central Ave, Lancaster
- Vape E’s, 44 Main St, Tonawanda
- West Seneca Music, 20 Center Road, West Seneca
- Windsor Village Artisan & Antique Market, 45 Stevens St, Lockport