Affordable Summer Fun For Your Family
Summertime is fun time! What can we do as a family that won’t leave us sweating out paying for it. After all, summertime is about vacation, not working overtime. Here are a few lower cost options that help promote family togetherness.
1. See a cheap seat movie. Many theaters offer summer movie programs for kids. If you’re not so lucky, maybe a movie day at home with a rental from Family Video or Netflix or an online streaming source.
2. Hold a Sprinkler Day. Invite everyone to get in their bathing suits and jump through the sprinklers on a hot day. Keep the kids (and adults) cool and the grass green for one low price.
3. Go fly a kite. Check the forecast and look for a windy day in the coming week. Pick up a cool kite and find a tree free area for the kids.
4. Make homemade Play-Doh. It’s basically just water and flour. There are all sorts of recipes available online.
5. Build a “fort” in the living room. You remember this from back in the day. All it takes are some cushions and a sofa. If you want to get all fancy, you can use some large boxes.
6. Go bowling. Bowling alleys often have special summer rates for families and will put out the bumpers so kids don’t roll gutter balls.
7. Have a squirt gun fight. Water pistols are often no more than $2. Pick up a couple and get wet.
8. Hold a Pajama Day. Stay in your pajamas all day.
9. Spend a day volunteering. There are lots of places you can volunteer and teach kids the importance of helping out. Some ideas include the S.P.C.A. or yardwork for a senior neighbor.
10. Visit the public pool (with parental supervision, of course).
Don’t forget to hydrate and have fun!