Country Timeline: Johnny And June Anniversary
March 1st, a day that makes everyone who has a birthday on February 29th angry. But it's also Johnny Cash and June Carter Cash's anniversary and some other stuff...
- In 1961 Mattel places Ken dolls on sale as Barbie's boyfriend.
- In 1962 The first K-Mart opens.
- In 1968 Johnny Cash married June Carter in Franklin, Kentucky.
- In 1969 Mickey Mantle announces his retirement from baseball.
- In 1972 Merle Haggard is pardoned by then California governor Ronald Reagan. Haggard had served time in San Quentin during the late 1950's for attempted burglary.
- In 1994 Reba McEntire's "Greatest Hits" album goes double platinum.
- In 2001 Collin Raye receives the Artist Humanitarian Award from Country Radio Broadcasters, presented by Clint Black.
- Steve Holy's "Good Morning Beautiful" spent it's 5th and final week at the top of the charts in 2002.