After more than 10 years of debate the Peace Bridge expansion project may finally be getting off the ground. It calls for a larger Customs plaza on this side of the border. The problem has been the acquisition of 8 homes next to the Peace Bridge property. Seven homes have been acquired and crews are ready to demolish them. Preservation groups want to somehow save one of the houses – the Wilkeson House that dates back to 1863 and is on the city’s historic registry.

The owner of one other house is holding out but debris piled in front of the house seems to indicate the Peace Bridge Authority has come to an agreement with the owner. Once the properties are demolished, work can finally begin on improving the process of moving vehicles across the bridge.

It’s called the Peace Bridge because when it opened it recognized 100 years of peace between the United States and Canada. Construction began in 1925 and was completed in 1927. It was opened to traffic for the first time on June 1st, 1927 and became the only entry point between the United and Canada on the Great Lakes.

More than 506,000 vehicles crossed the Peace Bridge last month.

More than 6,000,000 vehicles used the Peace Bridge last year.

The Peace Bridge processed more than 7.2-million vehicles in 2003.

Today – the Peace Bridge is the third-busiest U.S. – Canada border crossing.

SOURCE: peacebridge.com