Ted Wilkinson Is This Week’s Hometown Hero!
This week’s Hometown Hero is Ted Wilkinson. Mr. Wilkinson is a member of the NYS Veterans Hall of Fame who fought in Vietnam and has earned a ton of awards. It’s for that and a bunch of other reasons that he has been named this week’s Hometown Hero!
Wilkinson served during the Vietnam War and was honorably discharged from the United States Army as an Spc5. Enlisting in 1969, he served two tours in Vietnam. He was with the 20th Engineer Brigade and the Engineer Command.
Now he serves on many local and national councils and organizations such as:
- New York State Western District Director of the Vietnam Veterans of America – New York State Council (VVA-NYSC)
- President of the Wyoming County Joint Veterans Council
- The New York State Council Vietnam Veterans Financial Development Chairman
- Life Member of Vietnam Veterans of America Chapter 193
- Disabled American Veterans Batavia Chapter 166 Sergeant at Arms
- VVA Chapter 193 Member Of The Year three times
- World War 2 Memorial Lifetime Charter Member
- A founding sponsor for Disabled Veterans for Life Memorial Washington D.C.
- He currently serves on the Veterans Affairs Western New York Healthcare Committee
- NYS Senator Patrick Gallivan’s Veterans Advisory Council
- Veterans Affairs of Western New York Veterans Advisory Council
- Vietnam Veterans of America National POW/MIA Committee
- Vietnam Veterans of America National Veterans Against Drugs Committee
- Was a member of Congresswoman Kathy Hochul’s Veterans Advisory Council and now serves on Congressman Chris Collins’ Veterans Advisory Council.
He also helped organize and participated in the 2005 “Echo Taps” and helped organize and bring the Moving Wall and the Veterans Traveling Tribute to Western New York numerous times.
His military awards are:
- The Good Conduct Medal
- The Army Commendation Medal
- Two Bronze Stars With Valor, the second received in Binh Thuy on April 16, 1972 during the Easter Offensive
- The Conspicuous Service Cross (New York State’s highest award for combat valor)
- The Vietnam Cross of Gallantry Medal
- Presidential Unit Citation
- Vietnam Campaign Ribbon
- Vietnam Service Ribbon with four Campaign Stars
- Expert Marksman Badge
- The New York State Council Vietnam Veterans of America Distinguished Service Award
Ted was also inducted into the NYS Veterans Hall of Fame in 2012. Now he resides in Warsaw with his lovely wife of 34+ years, Nyla.
That is an incredible resume of service, and we cannot say thank you enough for all that you’ve done. Thank you, Ted!
If you would like to nominate someone who is currently serving our country or has served in the past, click the button below. We will choose a new Hometown Hero each Friday. If their name is chosen, we will not only feature them right here on WYRK.com, but we’ll be sure to thank them for their service on the air and dedicate the first song on Noon Tunes to them.