Woodlawn Beach Ranked Among ‘The Dirtiest in the Country’
Saw this story this morning on Fox. Woodlawn Beach has been named one of the dirtiest in the country! This was based on a study done on over 3,000 beaches nationwide. According to the report:
The biggest reason for pollution is sewer runoff that “can be laden with bacteria from animal and human waste.”
Part of the problem is the reports of infections that may be caused by some of the contaminants in the water off the beach:
According to the Natural Resources Defense Council’s annual beach quality report, some of the country’s most popular beaches are contaminated by storm water runoff and sewage that could cause stomach flu, skin rashes, pink eye, ear nose and throat problems.
Here is how Woodlawn was ranked:
– Avalon Beach in Los Angeles County, Calif.
– Doheny State Beach in Orange County, Calif.
– Winnetka Elder Park Beach in Cook County, Ill.
– North Point Marina North Beach in Lake County, Ill.
– Constance Beach, Gulf Breeze, Little Florida, Long Beach, and Rutherford beaches in Cameron County, La.
– Beachwood Beach West in Ocean County, N.J.
– Woodlawn Beach (Woodlawn Beach State Park) in Erie County, N.Y.