Blind Woman Canoes 444 Miles From Western New York
We couldn't help but share this cool story. A nearly blind woman from Western New York is canoeing 444 miles in order to raise awareness. That's over FOUR HUNDRED MILES. Absolutely incredible.
Meet Sandy Parisi.
She has Retinitis Pigmentosa, a disease that has slowly taken her vision and now, almost completely. But, that is not going to stop her from doing this absolutely amazing canoe trip that she is doing in the Susquehanna River.
Now, the trip is one that is done by a lot of people, dubbing it the 444 Club. The Susquehanna River 444 Club is made up of anyone who has paddled the entire 444 miles of the Susquehanna River Water Trail from Cooperstown, NY, to Havre de Grace, MD. You're going all the way across state lines!
Sandy is going to be in the canoe with her husband and her service dog as well. Our friend Gabby Mediak got to catch up with Sandy and report the story:
Sandy’s goal is to raise awareness and funding for guiding eyes for the blind, an organization that means a great deal to her. “Twenty years ago was my first experience with Guiding Eyes for the Blind,” said Parisi. “I received my first guide dog which totally opened up my world. It gave me more opportunities, I became more confident and I was given more independence. So I owe them, according to WIVB.
If you are looking to do some canoeing or kayaking locally there are TONS of great spots across Western New York!
Where are there other kayak launches in Buffalo, New York? Where can I go kayaking in Western New York? Sometimes the hardest part is just finding the address to where you can actually just put it in your phone and GPS it. We have you covered here:
- Kayak Launch Ohio ST - 421 Ohio Street, Buffalo
- Wilkeson Pointe Kayak Launch - 225 Fuhrmann Boulevard, Buffalo, NY 14203
- Niagara and Sweeney Streets Kayak Launch And Fishing Dock - 471 Sweeney St, North Tonawanda, NY 14120
- Eastern Park Canoe And Kayak Launch - 280 Fillmore Ave, Tonawanda, NY 14150
- Isleview Park - 796 Niagara St, Tonawanda, NY 14150
- Harlem Road Fishing Access & Boat Launch - Behind 800 Harlem Rd, West Seneca, NY 14224
- NT Kayak Launch Facilities Botanical Gardens - 1825 Sweeney St, North Tonawanda, NY 14120
- Woods Creek Kayak Launch - Grand Island, New York
- Griffon Park Launch - Niagara Falls, New York