Six Secrets To Make Your Marriage A Happy Marriage
Marriage isn't easy. That being said, it's also totally worth it if you and your partner are both willing to put the work in. Recently, there was a study done of 10,000 couples in 110 different countries that found the secrets that are true across almost EVERY happy and successful marriage.
Whenever I hear of a couple that has been married longer than I have, I always ask them what their secret is. Normally the man will say something like, "you have to learn to smile and nod a lot" or "learn to give up." But there are 6 things that were common in every happy and successful married person that took this study. They are:
1. Mutual respect - I think this is common in ANY relationship from work to friendship, respect has to be the foundation.
2. Deciding divorce is NOT an option - This was something my wife and I both agreed to before we were married. We would never use this word as a threat. If you said it, you meant it so we vowed to just never say it. It wasn't an option.
3. Daily rituals - Whether it's having coffee together every morning or watching the news at night, having something you do together every day is key.
4. Spirituality. Virtually all the couples believed in a higher power.
5. Not worrying about sex - Worry about communication. The rest will take care of itself.
6. Putting your marriage before your kids. If you make your marriage the priority . . . and don't just focus 100% on your kids . . . it keeps your marriage strong. Which is important for your kids AND you . . . kids do what they see. So by loving your spouse, you're also showing them how to love theirs.