Erie County Fair Fire Heavily Damages Weidner’s Chicken Stand
It was about an hour after I came back from dinner when fire trucks stationed not far from our set up at the Erie County Fair turned on their lights and siren and roared off somewhere. I thought it might be a call somewhere in Hamburg. Turns out it was right on the fairgrounds at the Weidner's Chicken stand. It's where I had eaten about an hour earlier.
The fire heavily damaged the long-time building and forced the evacuation of the area nearby out of concern for explosions involving propane. I was just in that backroom - busy with a Saturday night crowd and a workforce of about 20 people. Admission into the fairgrounds was also immediately discontinued until the situation could be assessed.
Fairgoers said they were standing in line waiting to order when they saw flames in the back room, then suddenly the roof was on fire. They said they heard propane tanks exploding and moved away.
No word on injuries or a damage amount.