Western New Yorkers Able To Go On USS The Sullivans
USS The Sullivans has really taken a turn...for the better and everyone in Western New York cannot be any more excited about it. Now, there is still a lot of work to be done, but look where USS The Sullivans stand as of today Friday, May 6. Here are some of the important, short facts about the current status of USS The Sullivans.
- 3 weeks ago, the ship was tilted at almost a 30-degree angle, now it only varies between .1 and 3 degrees.
- Crew pumped out a total of 585,000 gallons of water so far out of the ship.
- There were over 50 holes patched up in the hull of the 80-year-old ship.
- The crew is continuing to go down below the water to check up on the holes that they patched up with a certain epoxy.
- The City of Buffalo is looking for federal money to help reimburse the work that was done and the work that still needs to be done.
Can you go on USS Sullivans yet? When will USS The Sullivans open so we can go on it? We have the scoop for you. Starting Memorial Day weekend the Buffalo Erie County Naval and Military Park will open and you will be able to go onboard USS The Sullivans. You are not going to be able to go inside and down below, but you WILL be able to get on and walk the decks to see all of the great progress that the crews have made over the past couple of weeks.
The Buffalo Erie County Naval and Military Park has been providing updates, especially by making videos via YouTube, to show the updates and transparency on a regular basis.