840 New Words Were Just Added To The Merriam-Webster Dictionary
As our lexicon grows so does our dictionary! The days of "that's not even a real world" are long gone. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary has made if official for 840 words, they are now "real words" and they have the papers to prove it!
Here are just a few of the new words. See the full list of new words HERE.
- GOAT – defined as the greatest of all time: the most accomplished and successful individual in the history of a particular sport or category of performance or activity"
- Marg – an abbreviation for margarita
- Fav – short for favorite
- Bougie [[BOO-zhee]] – an abbreviation of bourgeois
- Zoodles - a long, thin strip of zucchini that resembles a string or narrow ribbon of pasta
- Mocktail - a nonalcoholic cocktail
- Hangry - irritable or angry because of hunger
- Tent city - a collection of many tents set up in an area to provide usually temporary shelter (as for displaced or homeless people)
- Bingeable - having multiple episodes or parts that can be watched in rapid succession
- Time suck - an activity to which one devotes a lot of time that might be better or more productively spent doing other things
- Instagramming - to post (a picture) to the Instagram photo-sharing service
- Gochujang - a spicy paste used in Korean cuisine that is made from red chili peppers, glutinous rice, and fermented soybeans
How many of these words have you already been using?