Fight At New York State Prison Leaves One Inmate Dead
A fight between inmates at a prison in New York State has resulted in one death. The homicide happened at Green Haven Correction Facility in Stormville. New York State Police report that the death is the result of an altercation, but they do not specify how many inmates were involved. Another incarcerated individual was injured. The name of the deceased has not been released yet so the family can be notified. The investigation is ongoing and more information will be released as it becomes available.
Green Haven Correction Facility is among the top 7 most violent prisons in New York when it comes to inmate-on-inmate physical assaults. You can check out the list of the top 7 below.
These 7 Prisons Are The Most Violent In New York State [Photos]
New York released a report with the most recent number of violent assaults on inmates in state prisons. There were 134 inmate deaths noted in the report, although it doesn't break down the prisons where each death occurred or who caused them.
Here's a look at some of the general violent incidents reported for 2020, which is the most recent data reported by the state.
7. Auburn Correctional Facility (Maximum Security) - 63 inmate assaults
6. Green Haven Correctional Facility (Maximum Security) - 69 inmate assaults
5. Washington Correctional Facility (Medium Security) - 71 inmate assaults
4. Great Meadow Correctional Facility (Maximum Security) - 75 inmate assaults
3. Greene Correctional Facility (Medium Security) - 88 inmate assaults
2. Elmira Correctional Facility (Maximum Security) - 105 inmate assaults
1. Clinton Correctional Facility (Maximum Security) - 129 inmate assaults