Large Fire In North Tonawanda Destroys Four Businesses
Firefighters in North Tonawanda needed several hours to bring an intense fire under control in a brick plaza that consumed four businesses. The apparent cause of the fire was an overheated dryer in a laundromat that spread to the rest of the building on Division Street.
In addition to the laundromat, a butcher shop, a computer repair shop and a hair salon were destroyed. The roof of the building collapsed during the fire, but nobody was hurt. Traffic along the busy Twin Cities Memorial Highway which parallels Division Street was diverted during the height of the smoky blaze.
Firefighters from North Tonawanda were aided by City of Tonawanda firefighters and volunteers from Adams Fire Co. and Frontier Fire Co. The building is a total loss.