UB Field House Taking Shape
It's an addition to the University of Buffalo sports program that was long overdue, especially in a climate that's so often affected by the weather. Announced last fall, the UB sports field house adjacent to UB Stadium is taking shape and it's going to be one of the best in the country.
Officially known as the Murchie Family Fieldhouse the new building:
- Will cover over 2 acres
- It will feature a regulation size synthetic turf football field complete with end zones, goalposts and safety zones
- Will have a 66' indoor clearance, high enough for punts and kickoffs
- Will have the option for four recreational fields, each 95' by 180'
- Will have an indoor rubber track with pole vault and triple/long jump pits
- Will feature 15,000 square feet of wall panels allowing natural lighting
- Will feature two multi-level filming and viewing towers
Plus a cooling and ventilation system unsurpassed anywhere. This is going to be a first-class facility something that UB will not only be proud of but can use as an incentive to attract more athletes to the UB sports program.
The UB Council voted to name the facility in honor of the Murchie family in recognition of the millions of dollars the family has donated to the sports programs over the years. In 2014 the Murchie family made a $3-million donation, the largest donation ever to UB athletics. Tunney Murchie was a former UB hockey player.
The Murchie Family Fieldhouse is expected to open in the spring of 2019.