Construction in Kenmore To Cause Delays This Summer
Tis the season in WNY -- Road construction season! Be prepared for some delays if you use Elmwood Ave in Kenmore on a regular basis.
Construction begins today to improve the road conditions and makes it safer for bicyclists and pedestrians.
The $800,000 project was deemed necessary by the village, especially with so many young kids running up, down, and across Elmwood to get to Mang Park and to the village pool. Crews will also be returning grass and trees to areas between the curbs and sidewalks that had previously been paved over.
Mayor Patrick Mang said while the curbs and sidewalks will be repaved, wheelchair ramps will also be improved to comply with the Americans With Disabilities Act. They initially wanted to widen the street to allow for a bike lane, but that part of the project was rejected. The curve at Kenmore Ave will also be "softened" as an important safety measure.
80% of the funding comes from federal dollars, with the other 20% from the village.
You can expect one of the lanes on the northbound side to be closed beginning today and for most of the summer. You may have already seen some bottle-necking at Kenmore Ave last week.