One thing is true about New Yorkers, we LOVE to eat. I mean, how could we not? We have the most amazing restaurants in our state and such a variety. I'm not even just talking about New York City. In Buffalo, for instance, we have really good restaurants - everything from Italian to Asian to Indian to American and everything in between. And can we talk about pizza? New York has the best pizza, hands down (don't @ me to argue either).
But, with all that said, some counties in New York can do a bit better with managing their weight. New York State's Department of Health released a report on obesity around the state. In some counties almost 50 percent of their population is obese.
More than one-quarter (27.6%) of adults in New York State (NYS) have obesity.1,2 Obesity is a significant risk factor for many chronic diseases and conditions including type 2 diabetes, asthma, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, stroke, heart disease, certain types of cancer, psychosocial problems, and osteoarthritis. Many of these conditions contributed to increased fatalities from COVID-19.3
Before we get to the areas where obesity is a problem, lets take a look at the counties with the least obese populations.
• Outside New York City Tompkins (20.2%), Westchester (23.5%), and Nassau (23.6%) have the lowest obesity.
• Within New York City boroughs, New York County (Manhattan 19.2%) has the lowest obestiy.
Which Counties In New York Are The Fattest?
The info comes from a report released by the New York State Department Of Health. The most recent data available is from 2018.
7. Fulton County - 38.3 percent of the population is obese
6. Wyoming County - 38.4 percent of the population is obese
5. Washington County - 38.7 percent of the population is obese
4. St. Lawrence County - 40.9 percent of the population is obese
3. Wayne County - 41.4 percent of the population is obese
2. Franklin County - 44.4 percent of the population is obese
The Fattest County In New York State Is...
1. Oswego County - 44.5 percent of the population is obese