FREE College at SUNY Schools Announced in New York State
An announcement was made for FREE college to New York students looking to go to college for the first time this Fall. Last year, New York sent nearly 200,000 kids to school for free. How do you get free college in New York State? What do I have to do to get the New York Scholarship?
Governor Hochil announced the Excelsior Scholarship for the 2023-2024 academic year is now open. Anyone looking to get the scholarship will need to do so by the end of August 2023.
Your household cannot make more than $125,000. To be clear, this is the amount of your federal-adjusted gross income.
- The scholarship is for only first-time students.
- You must be going to a SUNY school that is either a 2 or 4-year program.
- You have to be starting college this coming Fall.
- If you are already receiving the scholarship, you do NOT need to reapply for another year.
- Complete 30 credits per year towards their program of study (including Summer and Winter terms)
- You cannot fall far behind. You must be on track to get your associate degree in two years or a bachelor's degree in four years
What will that cost New York State? How much money is it go to a SUNY school in New York State? On average, it is just over $7,000 per semester if you are a New York State resident.