These 10 companies employ many people in Buffalo and around Western New York. All of them are familiar names, but you might be surprised that some of them have such large workforces here. When it comes to the top type of employment in the city, a majority of people are employed by the private sector (as of 2020):
Private Employee 72,879
Government Employee 18,605
Non-Profit Employee 15,905
Buffalo's unemployment rate in 2020 was higher than the state and national average,
Buffalo - 5.8%
New York State - 4%
United States - 3.9%
Even though most people consider Buffalo to be a "blue-collar city," surprisingly, there are more white-collar employees,
White-Collar - 92,122
Blue-Collar - 21,184
You can click on each of the links to see their current job openings.
Top 10 Biggest Employers in Buffalo
Data provided by the City of Buffalo Office of the Comptroller
Unemployment Is The Worst In These 8 New York Counties [List]
Job opportunities have certainly bounced back from the first year of the pandemic, but there are still some counties in New York that are struggling with employment. The statewide unemployment rate is 5.5 percent, while the rate in the United States is 3.9 percent. The New York Counties with the lowest unemployment rate are Saratoga County and Yates County, which are tied with a rate of 2.80 percent. The 8 counties below have the worst unemployment rates in NYS as of November 2021.
7. (Tie) Hamilton County - 4.50%
7. (Tie) Herkimer County - 4.50%
6. Montgomery County - 4.60%
5. New York County - 6.10%
4. Richmond County - 7.20%
3. Queens County - 7.70%
2. Kings County - 8.20%
1. Bronx County - 11.20%
If you are among the unemployed in New York State, the Department of Labor offers lots of resources.
- Apply for unemployment benefits here.
- Get job resources for people with disabilities here.
- You can search jobs here.
- There are even tips to help you create an effective resume and cover letter.
- You can check out career development opportunities here.
- Find out more about training opportunities for job seekers here.