New Thanksgiving Tradition To Try – Turkey Talk
In my family, it has been a long standing tradition to all sit down to an incredibly large meal on Thanksgiving day and then go around the table while we all talk about what we are thankful for. Do you do that too? Tired of it yet? Maybe a new tradition is in order that will help you to get to know your family a little better.
I saw this online and thought it was brilliant. The author calls it "Turkey Talk" and it's based on the premise that the people that we are closest to are often the ones we know the least about.
The game is simple. First, print some questions on pieces of paper that will then be folded (so the person who picks it, can't see the question first) and put in a bowl.
Then you begin dinner and then pass the bowl around the table. The person who picks the paper will then answer the question and you will get to know more about your family than you ever did before.
Don't forget, you can put any questions on those sheets of paper. Just remember to keep them a little vague so that anyone can answer them. Some of the questions she came up with:
- What was the home and the neighborhood you grew up in like?
- Which of your parents were you closer to?
- What was your role in your family?
- What were your siblings like back then, and how did you get along with them?
- What kind of student were you?
- Other than family, who were the most important people in your life?
- What were the happiest times of your childhood?
- What were the biggest disappointments?
- What were your hobbies?
- What did you imagine your adult life would be like?
- Were you and your spouse in love from the start or did it take time?
- What has been the most rewarding part about raising kids?
- What has been the most difficult part about raising kids?
- Do you have any good parenting advise?
- How are you like your parents? How are you different?
- What was the best job you ever had? The worst?
- How did you decide what field to enter?
- Was there one person who had a big impact on your working life?
- If you had to do it all over again, would you choose the same career?
- Who makes you laugh the hardest?
- Do you have a favorite book or author?
- Do you have a favorite movie?
- What was the best trip you ever took?
- If you could go somewhere you’ve never been, where would you go?
- If you could live anyplace in the world, where would it be?
- What are five things you couldn’t live without?
- What’s your most beloved personal possession?
- What’s the bravest thing you’ve ever done?
- What’s the scariest thing you’ve ever done?
- Is there anything you always wanted to do but never did?
- What were the best years of your life?
- What was the hardest decision you’ve made?
- What are the most important things in your life?
- What do you consider to be your strongest character traits?
- What traits or habits do you wish you didn’t have?
- Do you believe that people can change?
- Do you believe in God?
- Has life made you more hopeful or more cynical?
- What do you consider to be the biggest world events of your lifetime?
- Do you think life now is harder or easier than when you were young?
- What are you most proud of in your life?
- What do you hope to be remembered for?