The Happiest City In New York State Is Here In Western New York
When you think of happy cities, which city around here would probably resemble it the most? A recent study says that the happiest city in the state is from right here in Western New York.
Zippia.com did a study to determine what the happiest city in every state was. When it comes to New York, Cheektowaga takes the honor of the happiest city in the state.
I mean, I don't think anyone really thought that New York City would take the cake in this one, but what makes them think that Cheektowaga would be? They looked over 600 cities and made it scientific with this criteria:
- Being well educated (Population with at least a bachelor’s degree)
- Percent of households earning above $75,000 (This one was based on a study by Purdue University that said that was the "amount that met basic needs and freed people from the pitfalls of deep financial insecurity.)
- Median home prices
- A short commute to work (Traffic = unhappiness)
- Having a family (Getting, and staying married, has a ton of happiness benefits, on average)
In theory, the higher the cities scored in those categories, the happier the people in those cities would be.
How did the rest of the country do? Here are the cities that scored the highest across the country:
- Bloomington, Illinois
- Olathe, Kansas
- Rochester, Minnesota
- Cary, North Carolina
- Appleton, Wisconsin
- Highlands Ranch, Colorado
- Bismarck, North Dakota
- Richardson, Texas
- Redmond, Washington
- Chandler, Arizona
Of course, we know that happiness depends on a lot of factors, but according to this study, living in these cities will give you a better chance to be happier.
12 WNY Words That Out-Of-Towners Struggle To Pronounce