Maple Weekend Is Another Sure Sign of Spring
Maple producers say it's all about the weather. Here in Western New York where this has been an especially cold and nasty winter maple production is a little behind because the sap isn't running very quickly, but it will be very soon. It always does.
New York State has about 2,000 maple producers and most of them open their doors to the public to get a first-hand look at how they turn 40 gallons of sap into one gallon of maple syrup. And many of them invite you to try that syrup over all-you-can-eat pancakes.
Maple Weekend is traditionally the last two weekends in March. This year it runs Saturday and Sunday March 23rd and 24th and March 30th and 31st.
Among the area maple producers opening their doors to the public during Maple Weekend are:
- Sweet Dream Maple Farm, 1116 Reynolds Rd., Corfu
- Smith's Maple Farm, 5257 Mayer Rd., Hamburg
- Merle Maple Farm, 1884 Creek Rd., Attica
- Maple Glen Sugar House, 2266 Gowanda Zoar Rd., Gowanda
- Big Tree Maple, 2040 Holly Lane, Lakewood
- Beyer's Maple Farm, 13884 Schang Rd., East Aurora
- Moore's Maple Shack and Pancake House, 10444 Galen Hill Rd., Freedom
- Welch's Maple Farm, 1420 Saltvale Rd., Wyoming
For a complete listing of Maple Weekend locations and activities go to MapleWeekend.com/