Need Help Remembering Names? Try These Tips
Remembering people's names is a super valuable skill. It shows people that you care about them and that they're important. But it's not an easy thing to do.
We've all been there. You are at a party, you meet someone new. They tell you what their name is. You shake their hand and look them in the eye. Then you start talking and before you know it, their name is gone. Suddenly their name becomes "buddy" or "champ" in your mind. You have no idea what to call them.
There's nothing more embarrassing than seeing someone that you know you've met, but you cannot pull their name up when you need to. It happens all the time.
So here are some easy tips that will help you to remember those people:
1. Focus - Be in the moment. If you're focusing on remembering the name, you've got a better chance of actually doing it.
2. Repeat it - By saying it out loud, your brain will remember you saying it.
3. Make an association with the name - Is her name Victoria? Maybe you remember her name because she's wearing a v-neck shirt, or she looks like a queen. Whatever it is that you associate that name with.
4. Form a mental image - Is her name Victoria? Picture her wearing a crown or carrying a scepter. They say, that the crazier the image, the more likely you will be to remember it.
5. Find something in their appearance that will help you - For example, if their name is Mark, look for a birthmark or something to remind you. Maybe his name is Todd and he has tattoos. Anything to associate it with a physical feature.
6. Repeat it...again - This one is hard. Normally the time that you'll forget the name is as soon as they walk away or that conversation ends. But it's important. Five minutes later, remind yourself of their name...then do it again a half hour later, an hour later, and so on.