New Cell Phone Trick Is Stealing From College Kids In WNY
So here's what's been happening around Western New York:
- The scam is called 'credit muling'.
- A scammer will get someone, usually college kids strapped for cash.
- The victims are told to go buy cell phones that are under contract and the scammer will pay them.
- Victim gives scammer phones and scammer gives them money.
- The scammer reminds the victims to cancel the contract within a couple of days so they don't get 'stuck' with a contract.
- Unfortunately, the scammer has already 'unlocked' and erased all tracking data and sold the phone.
- In order to cancel the contract, you must still have the phone and therefore, the victim has been duped.