Top 5 Gross Things The FDA Allows In Your Food
Warning...you do not want to read this blog at lunch, dinner, breakfast, or anytime you are thinking about food!
The website, Buzzfeed just released that the FDA has a document called the Defect Levels Handbook that says what types of defects mass-produced food can have in it and still be considered "safe" to eat.
That means that some GROSS stuff is legally allowed in your food! Now before you read the list BuzzFeed did offer some encouraging information.
It is incorrect to assume that because the FDA has an established defect action level for a food commodity, the food manufacturer need only stay just below that level. The defect levels do not represent an average of the defects that occur in any of the products—the averages are actually much lower. The levels represent limits at which FDA will regard the food product "adulterated"; and subject to enforcement action under Section 402(a)(3) of the Food, Drug, and Cosmetics Act.
Here are the Top 5 Gross things we found (See the WHOLE LIST HERE)
1. Maggots in your brined or Maraschino cherries. - Maraschino cherries are adulterated when an average of 5% or more pieces are rejects due to maggots.
2. Rodent hairs in your cinnamon. - Cinnamon is adulterated when a check finds an average of 11 or more rodent hairs per 50 grams.
3. Mildew in your canned greens. - The FDA will make canned greens adulterated when an average of 10% or more of leaves, by count or weight, showing mildew over 1/2" in diameter.
4. Fly eggs and maggots in your canned tomatoes. - A can of tomatoes will become adulterated when there is an average of 10 or more fly eggs per 500 grams OR 5 or more fly eggs and 1 or more maggots per 500 grams OR 2 or more maggots per 500 grams.
5. Insect fragments in your macaroni. - Your box of macaroni is deemed adulterated when a check finds an average of 225 insect fragments or more per 225 grams in 6 or more subsamples.
If this doesn't make you want to go on a diet....I don't know what will!!
More Articles You Might Be Interested In
- Should New York Be Split Into Two States?
- Buffalo Pizza Gets Shout Out From Hollywood Star
- Eating Ice Cream Can Make You Smarter
- Why Are Fireworks Illegal In New York State?
- East Aurora Safest Place To Live In Western New York