Top Destinations And Travel Tips For This Summer
Summertime is time for family vacations or just time to get away. The kids are out of school and the weather is warm, so you hit the road looking for a little escape!
AAA has released a list of the top domestic and international travel destinations for this summer and the top destinations won't surprise you. Disney dominates the domestic travel while Italy tops the international.
AAA’s Top Domestic Summer Destinations
- Orlando, FL
- Honolulu, HI
- Anchorage, AK
- Seattle, WA
- Los Angeles/Anaheim, CA
- Maui, HI
- Fairbanks, AK
- Las Vegas, NV
- Boston, MA
- Salt Lake City, UT
As far as traveling domestically, AAA says that road trips still dominate,
"Road trips remain the most popular family vacation option for those staying stateside, despite higher gas prices. Nearly two-thirds (64 percent) of those planning a family trip are expected to hit the roads this year."
AAA’s Top International Summer Destinations
- Rome, Italy
- Vancouver, British Columbia
- Dublin, Ireland
- London, England
- Paris, France
- Montego Bay, Jamaica
- Punta Cana, Dominican Republic
- Calgary, Albert
- Cancun, Mexico
- Amsterdam, Netherlands
If you plan on traveling for the summer AAA has some tips to get the most out of your trip!
- Plan ahead – Book early for the best deals and availability on hotels, airfare, car rentals and more.
- Work with a travel agent – Travel agents often have access to extra amenities and added benefits to help plan the perfect summer vacation. They can also be a tremendous help in the event something changes or goes wrong on your trip.
- Be flexible – If your schedule permits, avoid traveling during peak times this summer, including Memorial Day weekend and around Independence Day, to encounter less congestion and fewer crowds.
- Safety first – If driving, get plenty of rest before setting out on your road trip. Schedule breaks every two hours or 100 miles to remain alert and avoid driving drowsy.
- Make sure your vehicle is road trip ready – Take your vehicle to a trusted repair facility to perform any needed maintenance before heading out. Pack an emergency kit that includes a mobile phone and car charger, a flashlight with extra batteries, a first-aid kit, a basic toolkit, and drinking water and snacks for all passengers.
- Pack your patience – Summer is one of the busiest travel times of the year. Expect heavy crowds and allow plenty of time to get to your destination safely.