Buffalo Niagara Airport Reopens After Storm Closure
Good news for travelers who are hoping to fly into or out of Buffalo after that huge storm.
Traveling to or from Buffalo in the winter is always a gamble. It can be a tricky thing to do for sure. You never know what the weather is going to do or how it is going to affect your flight. Even on a weekend like the one we are having, it could be completely calm at the airport while places in the south towns get buried in snow.
The Buffalo Niagara Airport was forced to close some runways a couple hours ago because visibility was down to zero and snow was beginning to pile up on the runways. Western New York has received record amounts of snow in the last 24 hours. The Buffalo Airport was able to record a record amount of snow fall in a 24 hour period. They reported 17.8" in that amount of time.
They weren't alone. Many towns across Western New York set records.
- ORCHARD PARK, NY - Erie County - 66 Inches
- BLASDELL, NY - Erie County - 65 Inches
- HAMBURG, NY - Erie County - 61 Inches
- EAST AURORA, NY - Erie County - 54.5 Inches
- ELMA, NY - Erie County - 48 Inches
- FORT DRUM, NY - Jefferson County - 48 Inches
- ANGOLA, NY - Erie County - 46 Inches
- WEST SENECA - Erie County - 42 Inches
- BOSTON, NY - Erie County - 39.4 Inches
- SOUTH WALES, NY - Erie County - 36 Inches
- EDEN, NY - Erie County - 29 Inches
- WATERTOWN, NY - Jefferson County - 28.2 Inches
- ATTICA, NY - Wyoming County - 23.5 Inches
- CHEEKTOWAGA, NY - Erie County - 22.4 Inches
- SOUTH BUFFALO, NY - Erie County - 19.5 Inches
- NORTH JAVA, NY - Wyoming County - 16.0 Inches
- DEPEW, NY - Erie County - 13 Inches
- BUFFALO AIRPORT, NY - Erie County - 12.5 Inches
- LITTLE VALLEY, NY - Cattaraugus County - 12.0 Inches
- FREDONIA, NY - Chautaugua County - 11.5 Inches
- DUNKIRK, NY - Chautaugua County - 10.5 Inches
- AKRON, NY - Erie County - 9.5 Inches
- NORTH BUFFALO, NY - Erie County - 8 Inches
- RUSHFORD, NY - Allegany County - 4 Inches
- NORTH TONAWANDA, NY - Niagara County - 4 Inches
The good news is that the airport is getting back on track today (11/19) and is reopening after being closed for 5 hours.
It's never any fun to have a flight cancelled or delayed. If you want to check to see if your flight is on time before you leave your house, click here.
People have been wondering how the Buffalo Bills were going to be able to move their game to Detroit. The players are struggling to make it to the airport as many of them are snowed in. The airport being closed felt like the nail in the coffin. But now that the airport is reopening, it's giving at least a glimmer of hope that the game might still be able to happen.